Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Wedding Ring


Okay, here is the story of my wedding ring.  I was sitting in my car waiting for my son to get out of class at the technical school.  As I was waiting I decided to put some lotion on my hands.  So I took off my rings one was my diamond wedding ring and the other was my grandmother's simple white gold wedding band.  For some reason I set them in my lap.  I usually set them in the ashtray, but this time I didn't.  My son showed up at the car and he was upset because the guys in the class had pranked him.  As we talked I forgot all about my rings.  I put the lotion away and drove off to the grocery store.  I got out of the car went in the store purchased my groceries and went on home and made lunch.  I went about my day and went to bed.

In the morning I went through my usual routine.  Got my breakfast, shower and got dressed.  Then I went to put on my rings and saw they were not in my jewelry box.  I immediately felt I was going to faint.  I realized I never put the rings back on after putting the lotion on.  I picked up my son from the tech school and told him about the rings.  I searched the car, he searched the car...nothing.  I went back to the grocery store and I parked near where I parked before.  While I went into the store to ask if anyone had turned in the rings my son searched the parking lot.  The clerk at the courtesy desk checked in the back, but there was nothing turned in.  I was disappointed as I made my way back to the car.  I told my son that no one turned them in.  Just then, amazingly, he looked down and found my wedding ring!  He found the setting and the diamond sitting next to it.  The setting is crushed, but the diamond is fine.  However, my grandmother's wedding band was not found.  I am heartbroken.

It is a blessing of the Lord that I was able to get my wedding ring back after 24 hours of it being lost.  In the afternoon I took my poor ring to a reputable jeweler.  She told me that the diamond is fine, however the setting is in bad shape after being run over by a car.  Add on top of that 27 years of wear the gold has worn thin.  Her husband (an award winning jeweler) can repair it, but it looks about time for me to get a new setting.  So sometime Mark and I will be going to view settings together.

4 comments:

sherry said...

oh dear that would break my heart too, becky! i've lost a diamond out of my setting but not the ring itself. ((((( hug ))))) i have my great grandmother's simple yellow gold band that i love to wear. losing that would cause serious heart ache.

praying you'll be able to choose a new setting soon and that somehow you could find a vintage white gold band to compliment it. maybe ebay? or goodwill online - they have vintage jewelry.

hugs,
jAne

Chaos Cottage said...

Oh how heartbreaking. I am so glad the diamond was in perfect shape. Maybe your husband will propose all over again!

outdoor.mom said...

we will keep praying that it will be found :-)

outdoor.mom said...

it really is a miracle the other ring was found tho :-)