Thursday, April 29, 2010

Regarding the Boys

As you know, I have been sharing about my struggles with our boys and their schooling.  Mark and I are keeping on top of them as best we can, it is a tough job.  Also, I am considering homeschooling as an option, but just to let you know my men are against it.  Nonetheless, I am going to try and hook up with a woman from our church who knows of a homeschooling group in the area.  Mark is checking into on-line classes offered through the public school system.  The on-line schooling is free, except when classes are taken over, then it costs $150 a semester for each class.  The on-line schooling can be done at home and is available 24/7.  There is a meeting about the on-line program in May and we are planning on attending.  Mark thinks the on-line schooling is the best option.

My biggest fear right now is that the boys will fail multiple classes and if that happens I am not sure what will transpire.  My youngest son has brought up some of his grades and I am very proud of him, but he has more work to do before he is out of danger.  My oldest son has slipped in yet another class even though he knows what could happen to him.  Both boys are capable of getting good grades, all their teachers past and present know it as well as we do.  My oldest son has A's in his metal and jewelry shop classes.  He has worked hard in both those classes learning how to use all the different pieces of equipment, etc. If you ask my boys, they will freely admit that they are lazy and they do not care about school.  Honestly, I do not know what to do with that attitude and I find it highly frustrating.

5 comments:

sherry said...

Peeking in from my bloggie-break...

first, here's a (((hug))).
i'm wondering if this (lower grades, lazy tendencies) is a transitional response to their new environment or did the boys have the same or similar struggles in Cali as well? while the online classes may seem an option, would the boys' disinterest in school bleed over to this new forum, continuing the lower grades and not making good use of the $ per class. what is your boys opinion of their options? i encourage you to bring them into it, really talking it out. as to home schooling...you know i'm *for* that option but if your husband and boys are against it then it wouldn't be a positive decision. your boys have to be on board with whatever decision is made, dear friend. and...you and your dear hubby need to be on the same page.

i'm praying for the Lord to be clear in His direction and that the boys hearts would be softened to follow His lead.

in His love,
jAne
tickleberry farm

Becky said...

Thank you so much for your kind advice, hugs & prayers dearest jAne, they are much appreciated and needed. FYI, the boys had these problems in Cali, just that it has gotten more critical. Our options are better in CO than they were in Cali. We are sharing options with the boys, but when they chose to fail the options dwindle. It breaks my heart.

Seawashed said...

I agree with jAne. Listening to your boys wants will help.

The teenage years(and young adult) are difficult. They are trying to find out who they are and want to be independent of mom and dad. Maybe if you encourage your oldest son by praising him on the high grades, recognizing his interest in this trade, and inform him that he could do well but needs to get passing grades in the other subjects to go forward in this. When my first decided to go to public school last year, I told her that she has to keep her grades up to remain there. And she has. Now my son is there because he plays football and thankfully he has wonderful coaches whom have encouraged him to get good grades. He really tries the hardest out of all of my children to get good grades. I'm so thankful that he has the desire. It really is difficult when they don't. But I have learned alot by listening and being as understanding as I can. There is alot of pressure in the schools and I try not to add to it. I want to always be a safe, gentle place for them to fall in to.

Try not to stress about it Becky...let your husband lead in these decisions. Bless you dear one.

outdoor.mom said...

wow i have been gone for a while! sorry i've missed out on so much of your life. when kids get to a certian age, they have do decide what they want in life. changing schools can be so hard. when my mom got remarried, we moved and the kids at the new school were so mean! then i tried a mennonite school and had a really hard time fitting in there too. Finally, after dropping out for a quarter, i got into a smaller school. I only stayed there a year and then went to college as a post secondary student. Its hard to be a teen. Try to hear what they want to do. Some states pay for the online K.12 program and other alternatives. God give you wisdom. Love your pics and the rattlesnake pic looks scary - ugh!

sherry said...

~*(~*( hug )*~)*~

As our children get older I find that more time is needed in prayer, lifting them up and seeking His guidance.

I've also found that at a certain age (different for every child) the father should take over more 'control' of parenting situations. Seems children respond better to the father, than the mother. I've seen it over and again. Hm.

Blessings,
jAne