Friday, September 3, 2010

Autumn is on its way!

There has been a definite chill in the air lately.  This chill inspired me to decorate for autumn.  The chill has also inspired me to start cooking and baking.  Recently, I came across a recipe I copied from a cookbook years ago.  The recipe was for pear cake and since Colorado grown pears are at the market I decided to finally try this recipe.  The cake came out very moist and tender.  I served it simply, with a dollop of whipped cream.  The recipe may be halved to make a smaller cake (which is what I did).

Pear Cake

4 cups grated pear
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 t. vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg or cinnamon

In a large bowl combine the grated pear and sugar.  Set aside for 1 hour to accumulate juice.  Heat oven to 350*F.  Butter and flour a large tube pan and set aside.

After an hour has passed, use a large wooden spoon to stir the oil, vanilla and eggs into the pear mixture.  Stirring by hand, add the remaining dry ingredients.  Do not use a mixer.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes (for half the recipe it takes around 45 minutes to bake) or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.  Happy autumn and bon appetit!

3 comments:

sherry said...

this looks like a
t.h.u.d. worthy recipe!

have you enough sweaters for autumn, to keep you cozy warm?

jAne

Chaos Cottage said...

I've never had or heard of a pear cake. Sounds delicious.

I too love the fall. It's my favorite time of the year. We are experiencing lower humidity here and some lower temps. It's football time in Tennessee!

Pam

Sue said...

I'll try not to be envious of your weather! We've had the hottest summer in 130 years here in Japan, and the temps are still in the 90's. I will read you blog and pretend it's nice and crisp outside - and save that recipe for October!