Saturday, May 29, 2010

Family time at 14,000 ft.

This morning Mark decided to take us all for a drive.  Breakfast at the Blue Sky Cafe was a good way to start the day.  We all had different kinds of pancakes.  Brandon had plain buttermilk, Mark had sweet potato, Eric had caramel pecan and I had blue corn with pine nuts.  All of them were yummy.  Then we headed out on I-70 toward the Eisenhower Tunnel which is just over a mile long.  Mark has been dying to see and drive through that tunnel.  On the other side of the tunnel we came to the town of Silverthorne where we got some gas and then turned around.  We went back down I-70 in the opposite direction this time going through the Johnson Tunnel (Eisenhower Tunnel's twin). These tunnels go through a part of the Continental Divide.  Amazing!  Then Mark took us up to Mt. Evans.  I had no idea what a gorgeous treat I was in for as you can see from the picture above.  I felt like we were on top of the world!

In the background of this picture are trees called Bristlecones.  They are some of the oldest trees on the planet.  By looking at this picture with those happy smiling faces you would not think we are having issues with our sons.  I think summer break is just what we need.

Here I am with my boys.  Being outdoors in such beauty really does help sooth our souls.

Brandon loves to climb.  Here he looks like he is able to touch the sky.

Here he is again on top of a snow bank at Summit Lake.  The lake is frozen.  It was 30 degrees difference in temperature from where we live in Golden.  Amazing!

Mark took this picture of me as I just absolutely loved the scenery.  The road up to Mt. Evans was narrow in spots and there was no guard rail.  It got a bit nerve wracking at times.  Yikes!

It was 45 degrees at the top and colder as the wind blew.  Mark took it all in stride.

Here is cold little me at the top.  The gusts of wind nearly blew me off the mountain.  The altitude made me a bit dizzy and I got a headache.  It was worth it though!  It was a great family day for us.  Praise God!!

4 comments:

candy said...

I lovvvvve the pictures!!!! you look so adorable Becky!!! :)

Seawashed said...

Amazing!!! I would never be able to drive thru that tunnel...I'm claustrophobic...and the narrow roads always do me in. But it is glorious!

Chaos Cottage said...

Wonderful photos! It looks like your family had a wonderful time. Your mountains are beautiful. God's creation is awesome!

Sharon said...

Beautiful and breathtaking pictures! What fun you all have in exploring your new home state!